I built the "Vintage Clarinet Doctor" site to give owners and fanciers of vintage and antique clarinets and saxophones access to:
- Quality repair work specific to the issues of older instruments
- The opportunity to purchase professionally overhauled vintage clarinets and saxophones for a fair price
- Information (about the history, makers, and fingering systems of older clarinets), estimates and evaluations.
- Links to sites of related interest
There are many sites devoted to vintage trumpets or saxophones, but few sites for vintage clarinets. Most of those are Q&A, or piles of lengthy articles, or lists of instrument holdings in private collections, and I wanted a site (as a clarinetist) that met all my needs. I encourage you to send questions, interesting links, horn/maker information, and (hopefully) buy a horn or send one of yours for work.
Here's an article from the Clarinet Cache:
and a great video interview by Pat Jarrett from 2012:
The Vintage Clarinet Doctor's Mission
To put refurbished vintage clarinets and saxophones in the hands of:
- Students and parents wishing to save money without giving up looks or quality.
- Teachers wishing to supply their pupils with good horns for a reasonable price.
- Pro players looking for a different sound or feel without a 2nd mortgage.
- Collectors and amateur players who enjoy owning a piece of history, an unusual horn, and an instrument congruent with their goals and circumstances.